Friday, January 9, 2015

Analysis: Because I could not stop for Death

 
     "Because I could not stop for Death- / He kindly stopped for me-" In the first lines of the poem "Because I could not stop for death", Emily Dickenson describes a person's journey in Death's carriage. In the poem, Death is personified as a gentleman caller, who rides with the woman to her grave. The poem was published along with a collection of others, after Dickenson's death in 1890.
     Several lines in the poem allude to a slow death, possibly as a way too cope with her own impending death from Bright's disease, which lasted nearly two and a half years. "We slowly drove-He knew me no haste / And I had put away / My labor and my leisure too."
     The last stanza states that centuries have passed since she first got into the carriage, though it only  felt like less than a day. This could also allude to her lengthened illness, though to a much more exenterated way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment